The Sun, this glowing mass of heat, centered in the sky, illuminating the world and sending its golden rays to warm up the earth and give life to all its creatures. Did you ever imagine how does it feel to possess it? To be able to wake up every morning, open your window and see it shining?? To feel its heat on your bare skin and enjoy this sense of warmth sizzling in your veins??
This is not a dream or part of a fairy tale. It is very easy to possess the sun! All you have to do is book your flight ticket from any travel agent and fly directly to Hurghada, the Central City of the Red Sea in Egypt.
Hurghada is considered one of the safest touristic destinations worldwide. This beautiful city is located in the southern part of Egypt known as “Upper Egypt”. The geographical nature of the city, situated along the seashore and surrounded by the chain of mountains of the red sea, creates the subtropical –desert climate of Hurghada.
Therefore, temperature is remarkably warm during at least eight to ten and half months of the year (end of February till first half of December). From end of February till end of May, as well as September to first half of November, the temperature can vary from 38 to 20°C day and night consecutively.
Furthermore, the hot desert climate in Hurghada is characterized by exceptionally hot periods of the year, particularly June to August, where temperatures can exceed 45°C in the day and the sun can be very strong. However, during colder periods, particularly second half of December till the end of February, night-time temperature can drop drastically. Temperatures vary from 18 to 20°C in the day and can drop to no less than 10°C at night. There is largely unbroken sunshine for the whole year, and the climate is generally hot, sunny and dry.
This particular climate makes Hurghada THE destination for water sports fans and diving travelers from all around the world due to the moderate water temperature, as well as the high possibility of wind during the period from March to May.
Tips to enjoy diving in Hughada all year long:
Visiting from 15 December to end of February (refreshing water temperature):
- Make sure to rent or buy a 7 mm diving suit
- If you normally feel cold underwater, put on a lycra T-shirt on your swim suit before wearing your wet suit.
- While on boat, ensure that you have your own warm wrapper or bathrobe or large towel to dry yourself well once you are out of the water
- Ensure to have a jumper or a warm cotton sweat shirt to put it while waiting for the second dive during the surface interval
- Make sure to dry your wet suit in-between dives by putting it out on a hanger facing the air current
- Enjoy some warm drinks during surface intervals
Enjoying the winter time in Hurghada
Visiting from March till May or from September to first half of December (mild water temperature) :
- Use your normal 3 to 5 mm wet suit
- Get a light cover up to wear on your swim suit while roaming around in the boat during surface intervals
- Get tanning oil and enjoy long sun bathes on deck
- Drink a lot of water to avoid dehydration
- Avoid spending a long time wearing your wet suit while you are on deck
Visiting from June till August (warm to hot water temperature):
- Use 3 mm shorty wet suits
- You can even wear your gear (BDC, fins, mask and regulator) directly on your swim suit or on a short a T-shirt
- Make sure to drink a lot of water while on deck to avoid dehydration
- Stay in the shades as much as you can
- Get a good protective sun-screen to avoid skin burns
- Once you are out of the water, take off your wet suit to avoid feeling hot.
Enjoying the summertime in Hurghada
For more information on the temperature in Hurghada and the suitable wetsuits for each month of diving, please visit http://new.dive-hurghada.com/weather
Dalia Saleh - Clients Relations Manager